Saturday, February 20, 2010

THINGS MY GRANDMA TAUGHT ME

They say you should give someone flowers while they can actually smell them. Those were really my only intentions with this initial offering of music. I didn't have any great expectations. Through music, I wanted to express to my grandmother what she meant to me and highlight the valuable lessons she teaches me. I've never felt like much of a singer, but music (gospel music in particular) was an integral part of my upbringing. I practically lived in church and Granny sang all the time. These days, I think it is music that helps her make it through her days.

But I've always been a strong writer. My confidence in this area was bolstered by some excellent teachers who encouraged me to enter writing contests as early as the sixth grade (shout out to all educators who are able to see more in their students than they see in themselves).

Though very uncomfortable at first, I began to try to sing the songs that I had written to the musical offerings of extraordinarily talented but little known producers I discovered from across the globe. Before I knew it, I had composed about 20 songs. I took the better of them and titled the compilation, "THINGS MY GRANDMA TAUGHT ME".

One of the most important things she taught me was put to the test every step of this whole process. I can hear her say almost verbatim, "Do whatever God puts on your heart to do. It may seem foolish and you may not feel as if you are the right person for the job, but God don't make no mistakes. Obedience is better than sacrifice".

Yes Ma'am.

Ladies and Gentleman, THINGS MY GRANDMA TAUGHT ME.

1 comment:

  1. Just beautiful. this photo warms my heart.

    ReplyDelete