Tuesday, March 16, 2010

MY DAY JUST SUDDENLY GOT BETTER



My day just suddenly got better. I'm listening to the Euphoric sounds of Madeleine Bloom. My first time hearing Madeleine's sound was when I downloaded the Mercedes-Benz Mixed Tape Compilation - Green Tones. Being featured on this compilation was very exciting, but I was equally as excited to listen to the contributions of the other artists who would be featured. When I first heard Madeleine's track Euphoria I was taken aback by her songwriting abilities. The melodies were were impressive -though not overdone. The introductory chords offered mystery, and I knew I was in for a treat. BUT I wasn't prepared for the amazingly profound messages that she subtly slipped into what could be mistaken as very simple lyrics. The more songs I write, the more I realize now just how important and difficult this is to do.
The writers challenge is to present the profound in such a way that it feels simple...

Bloom's opening verse is:

this is so exciting
ever so exciting
can you smell it
it’s already in the air

i don’t know what’s gonna happen
i don’t know what’s coming next
but i take it on
a new challenge in life...

I knew then that I was along for the journey. Her album doesn't disappoint. Well, I haven't actually gotten through all of it. I just downloaded it 10 minutes ago. I was so captivated by the first couple of songs, that I just started writing.

You should download it too. Listen to it with me and let's talk about it.

Ladies and Gentleman, another great artist you've probably never heard of. The lovely Madeleine Bloom.

UPDATE 3/29/2010: I just received the physical Madeleine Bloom CD in the mail...straight from Berlin Germany and signed by Madeleine herself. I'm listening to it as if it were the first time. Track 7 (In Unison) signals the most progression in music (arrangement and composition) I've heard in a very long time. I think this track represents where music is going. Other artist will be writing and producing songs like this in the next couple of years. By then, Madeleine will be conceptualizing music that will mark the next progression.

No comments:

Post a Comment